Before contacting us with a general query you may wish to use this Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page which has been broken down into sections to help you with your search.

Apprentice Benefits

Am I entitled to Bupa if I work for a JIB member?

No – Bupa is not available to apprentices.

Am I entitled to JIB rates of pay?

You are only entitled to JIB rates of pay if you are working for a JIB member company. If you are not working for a JIB member company, then the JIB rates can only be used as a guideline although they are recognised as the industry standard.

Am I entitled to sick pay?

If you are working for a JIB member you are entitled to £3 per day in addition to SSP after 3 waiting days. This is payable by your employer directly.

If you are not working for a JIB member company then any additional payment is at the discretion of your employer.

How do I advance to the next stage of my apprenticeship?

Advancement is linked to both service and attainment of qualifications. In September of each year the employer must review the progress of the apprentice to establish if they have achieved the training targets. If they have then the apprentice can be advanced to the next stage.

I am an apprentice – am I entitled to be paid for my time spent at college?

Your employer must allow you to attend College at the designated times to complete off-the-job training. For each day spent at College, your employer will meet any fees applicable to the Apprenticeship Scheme and will pay you a normal day’s pay at the At College rate plus the actual fares incurred.

I am an apprentice and have just been graded but my employer is not keeping me on. Is this fair? Can I claim unfair dismissal?

No. The completion of an apprenticeship has a special status in law.  It is deemed as a strictly one-off contract which is incapable of being renewed.  Therefore the completion of apprenticeship and non-engagement of an apprentice is not deemed as a dismissal.

It is also not a redundancy so no redundancy payment is due.  You would be entitled to any holiday pay outstanding.

I’ve been through my company’s grievance procedure and don’t agree with the outcome. What can I do?

If you are a JIB registered apprentice then, whether or not your company is a JIB member, you can make a claim through the JIB procedures if the dismissal or grievance is related to your apprenticeship.

The JIB’s Industrial Relations Department on 01322 661605 will be able to provide guidance. Alternatively you can email ir@jib.org.uk

We would also advise you to involve your Unite the Union Regional Officer if you are a member.

What do I do if my employer won’t complete my apprenticeship?

If you have completed your training and achieved all of the necessary qualifications, you are eligible to be graded as an electrician. You should complete the ECS form and submit this with the paperwork. Your employer must send this to the JIB within 14 days of receipt of the completed papers from you.

If your employer does not do this you should raise the matter within your employer’s grievance procedure. You should also contact your Unite the Union Regional Officer.

If this is not resolved then you can contact the JIB on ir@jib.org.uk

Company Benefits

Can you tell me the premium for Bupa Cover?

Please ring ECIS Benefits Team on 0330 221 0241 for a pro-rata table.

I operate ECIS Canopy – can I change my password?

You may change your password by using the administration function or by contacting ECIS at ecis@ecins.co.uk or on 0330 221 0241.

Why is my new starter not showing on my current session as I started him on my last one?

This session was printed before the update, you can always confirm by the date at the bottom.

ECS Cards

Where can I find further information about how to apply for an ECS Card?

All information can be found on the ECS website

Industrial Relations

Am I entitled to bereavement leave with pay?

At your employer’s discretion you are entitled to up to 3 days with pay for the bereavement of a close relative.

In England and Wales, in the case that an operative’s child aged under 18 or stillborn after 24 weeks of pregnancy passes away you will be entitled to Parental Bereavement Leave of up to 2 weeks.

You may also be eligible for Statutory Parental Bereavement Pay during this period of leave.

How many hours do I need to work before overtime rate applies?

Overtime payments are applicable after an individual has worked 37.5 hours in the working week. Overtime rate is paid at time and a half the basic rate (unless weekend working applies).

I have an ECS card. Does this mean that my employer has to pay me JIB terms and conditions?

Not necessarily. JIB terms and conditions are only contractual to people who are directly-employed by a JIB member company.

ECS cards are separate to JIB company membership. ECS cards are produced by the JIB but are open to anybody to apply for. So you can hold an ECS card but not be employed by a JIB member company.

If your company is not a JIB member company, the National Working Rules are encouraged as good practice. You may wish to suggest your company look at the benefits of joining the JIB – encourage them to find out more about JIB company membership at https://www.jib.org.uk/join-the-jib/

My employer is a JIB member but is breaching the Rules. What can I do?

If you cannot resolve this informally then the first step is to raise the grievance through your employer’s internal grievance procedure. You should have received a copy of this when you commenced employment but if you didn’t, you can request a copy from them.  You should also contact your Unite the Union Regional Officer if you are a member.

If you have exhausted all stages internally and the matter has not been resolved, you can raise it with the JIB.  We can try and resolve it informally or you can lodge a claim.

If you lodge a claim, we will send a copy to your employer for their response and try to resolve it.  The JIB has great experience in resolving claims through mediation.

To raise the grievance with the JIB please read and download the relevant information in the JIB Disputes Procedure section of this website.

What is the current JIB Lodging Allowance?

This is £49.27 per night from 1st January 2024 and can be paid as a tax-free amount for those under the JIB collective agreement.

Increases to the Lodging Allowance are agreed through HMRC.

For those who cannot reasonably obtain lodging for this amount, companies should not unreasonably refuse to provide lodging or reimburse reasonable receipts.

There is a form for claiming this as a tax-free amount under the Downloads section for JIB member companies

What is the holiday entitlement under the JIB National Working Rules?

Currently 24 days plus 8 statutory (bank) holidays.

What is the pay for working before or after normal working hours (7am-7pm)?

If you are working before or after a normal day shift (before 7am or after 7pm), you would receive time and a half for the hours worked (exceptions being those operatives who are working night shifts or those employed on shift work).

For working after 3pm or after the first six hours on a Saturday (whichever comes first) until normal starting time on Monday morning, you will be entitled to double time.  This is based on flat rate and not the shift rate.

What payment am I entitled to for working a statutory bank holiday?

Normally you should receive time and a half with a day off in lieu. Alternatively your employer may pay you two and a half times the normal rate with no alternative day off, but this is at their discretion.

For those working on permanent night shifts who work on a bank holiday (the shift starting on the evening of the bank holiday into the morning of the next day) the night shift rate of time and a third should be multiplied by the rate of time and a half (with a day off in lieu to be mutually agreeed), or two and a half times (with no subsequent day off in lieu) as mentioned above.

What travel payments am I entitled to?

If you are provided with a company vehicle (or your employer pays for your travel, eg by the way of a Travelcard or rail fare) you would be entitled to Mileage Rate for journeys over 15 miles from your Shop to the Job (using the fastest distance shown on the RAC route planner). Mileage Rate is 12p per mile and is taxable. This is paid each way.

If you use your own vehicle to get to a job, you would be entitled to Mileage Allowance for journeys over 15 miles from your Shop to the Job. Mileage Allowance is 22p per mile and is non-taxable. This is paid each way.

Guidance on how to calculate the fastest distance can be found here.

Mileage Allowance is a tax free payment. However you have to use your own vehicle to be entitled to receive this. If you are sharing a vehicle, only the driver is entitled to receive the Mileage Allowance. The driver is also entitled to claim 5p per passenger per business mile for carrying fellow employees in a car for their work journeys (note: employers do not have to report the passenger payment to HMRC or deduct and pay National Insurance). For those using their own vehicle, you may wish to consider what can be claimed as part of a tax return.

You can view the rules around Mileage Rate and Mileage Allowance within National Working Rule 11 of Section 2 of the JIB Handbook.


How much does it cost to join?

If you’re a member of the ECA (Electrical Contractors Association), JIB membership is included, at no additional cost, within your ECA subscription

If you’re not an ECA member, the fee is based on your labour force size – contact Roger Horne for more details on 01322 661612.

What are the benefits of joining the JIB?

JIB membership places your employment practices on a sound and legal footing, leaving you free to run and grow your business.

JIB helps its members establish and maintain employment conditions that attract, train and motivate good staff.

The key benefits of JIB membership are:

  • Employment terms and conditions including nationally negotiated rates of pay through the JIB collective agreement
  • Access to the JIB Benefits scheme including life insurance, disability benefit, SSP top up and BUPA healthcare (with medical history disregard). The  cost of this is £16.70 per week per employed operative and 48p per week for Apprentices for a reduced level of cover
  • Employment advice, dispute resolution and a free mediation service for JIB operatives, apprentices and the company
  • Apprenticeships – The JIB scheme offers benefits directly to the apprentice including free ECS cards. The JIB has an apprenticeship framework contained within the JIB Agreement.  The JIB also registers Training Providers including sister company JTL
  • Discounted rates for ECS cards – You will find more detail here on the ECS website
  • ECS Check for Clients and Supply Chains – verify the ECS status of electrotechnical personnel working on projects at no cost
  • Employer Portal – manage your ECS card renewals for your employees through our online portal
  • Financial support for training through the JIB Skills Development Fund – access to this fund is application based and offers training subsidy of up to 75% for selected courses. Please note the Skills Development Fund cannot fund any qualifications that are regarded as core competencies for an electrician ie AM2 and NVQ Level 3.  More information can be found here
  • Access to ECS Health, Safety and Environment Assessments at a reduced cost by becoming a licenced centre
  • Occupational Health Assessments one free per operative every three years up to a value of £85.00 plus VAT. More information on our website here
  • Your company listed on the JIB website and space to create a company profile advertising the work your company undertakes
  • Discounts for products/services from selected partners

In addition, membership assures clients they are engaging qualified operatives, with technical competence and customer service that only a motivated workforce can provide.

To read more about the benefits of JIB membership for you and your company please go to the Why Join? section of the website.

What are the requirements for membership?

A company must have at least two graded operatives (one of these can be a managing director or the company owner), or one graded operative and an apprentice. The company must have been trading for at least 12 months. 

What obligations do I take on by becoming a member?

JIB company members are required to abide by the JIB National Working Rules, which include a defined set of pay and conditions for qualified operatives, the providing of benefits and the holding of a valid ECS card. By abiding by these rules, JIB companies have the exclusive right to display the JIB logo – the mark of a good employer.

Occupational Health Assessments for Employers

Are apprentices covered?

No. While apprentices have their own Benefits Credit, the cost of an OHA is not included within this scheme.  Therefore, if you require an OHA for an apprentice, you will not be reimbursed through the JIB Benefits Credits Scheme.

Does my company have to pay the operative for their time and travel to attend?

Yes.  If the OHA is within work time then the operative is required to be paid. If the OHA is offsite, then the operative will also be entitled to their travel expenses.

Does my company have to send our employees for assessments?

No.  However, this facility is funded through the JIB Benefits Scheme and the OHA arrangements will help to deliver the various benefits outlined above, including improved compliance with health and safety legislation, and meeting client and/or main contractor occupational health requirements.

How do I receive the funding for OHAs?

You can apply for funding for the cost of the OHA from the ECISPlease see the information at: www.jib.org.uk/how-does-it-work to find out more. The process is straightforward!

How do occupational health assessments (OHAs) benefit my company?

OHAs help you to meet your legal requirement to protect the health and safety of your employees. By implementing an occupational health programme, including OHAs, you can also enhance the sustainability, reputation and profitability of your business, notably through reduced sickness absence and improved productivity. By assessing and protecting your employees, you are also reducing the risk of future health claims.

How much funding does an employer get towards each OHA?

Your company will be entitled to a maximum refund of the cost of the assessment (exc. VAT) or £85, whichever is lower, per OHA. This relates to the cost of one OHA per operative, during a three-year period.

Is this only for Electricians?

No. The OHAs are available for any individuals for whom JIB Benefits Credits are purchased.

What does the OHA cover?

The OHA scheme set up by the JIB will cover the following comprehensive set of tests as standard, based on generic hazards within the electrical contracting industry:

  • Musculoskeletal questionnaire/assessment
  • Skin health check
  • Respiratory health check
  • Audiometry health check
  • Blood pressure
  • Vision (Keystone test)
  • Vibration health check
  • Colour vision (Ishihara Test)
  • Urinalysis
  • Mental health/workplace stress assessment (question set)

What happens if an assessment is booked, but the operative has to cancel on the day?

While the JIB’s Preferred OHA Providers aim to be flexible and to accommodate each case on an individual basis, cancellation terms will apply in each Provider’s terms and conditions. Please check with the Provider directly when making your booking.

What if I would like to arrange OHAs for employees not covered by the Benefit Credits?

If you book an OHA for somebody who is not having Benefits Credits purchased for them, the OHA Provider may charge you at a commercial rate. Please make clear arrangements with your Provider, before sending employees not covered by Benefits Credits for OHAs.

What’s in it for employees?

An OHA is a free, comprehensive vocational health check for employees. Sharing essential information on the findings of the OHA with their employer will help the employer to assess and manage the employee’s health at work. The findings of assessments may also be of use to the employee in relation to any NHS or private medical treatment.

When should OHAs take place?

OHAs can usually be arranged at a time and location to suit your business.  You are advised to shop around with our Preferred Providers to determine what is best for you.

Who can see my employees’ health records?

As the employer, you will receive a health record, which confirms the health checks undertaken for your employee, and the outcome regarding fitness for relevant tasks, plus any advice on relevant risk control measures.

However, specific OHA findings are medically confidential and can only be viewed by the employee or health professionals, unless it is reasonable for you to see more specific information and, crucially, that the employee has freely given written permission for you to see it.

Why have OHAs been brought in?

This change is a major and innovative demonstration of our industry’s commitment to the health and wellbeing of our workforce.

Our industry has an impressive and continually improving safety record, and the JIB’s principal stakeholders – the ECA and Unite – have agreed to deliver a step-change in the way occupational health is managed in the industry. A key part of this is helping JIB members to deliver specifically tailored OHAs.

In addition, there are increasing commercial requirements in the supply chain for workers to undergo OHAs, notably to assess if they are ‘fit for work’.

Will the assessment cost my company anything?

No. You can obtain funding for each employee OHA from ECIS (where the employee is covered by Benefit Credits), up to the basic cost of the delivered OHA (excl. VAT) or £85.00 – whichever is lower.

If you incur any further occupational health costs, you will be required to pay for these. If there are reasonable workplace adjustments required as a result of health issues identified, then these will also be the responsibility of the employer.

Occupational Health Assessments for Operatives

Do I have to pay for the assessment?

No, the cost of your OHA assessment is covered as part of your JIB Benefits.

Do I still have Bupa Private Medical cover?

Yes. Your private medical insurance through Bupa is not affected.

Does my employer have to send me for an OHA?

No, however this facility is funded as part of your JIB benefits. The OHA arrangements will help to deliver various health benefits. Clients and main contractors are increasingly requiring evidence of OHAs as a condition of access to their sites.

Your employer should communicate their intentions regarding OHAs in a clear and timely fashion so you can understand what is required of them.

If you have any concerns then you can raise these with your Unite the Union Regional Officer, speak to the JIB or email at ir@jib.org.uk

What happens if I can’t make it?

If you cannot attend an OHA, or you will be late, please notify and discuss this immediately with your employer, to discuss the next steps.

While the JIB’s Preferred OHA Providers aim to be flexible and to accommodate each case on an individual basis, your employer will be subject to cancellation terms from the Provider if you can’t make it.

What happens if they find a problem?

If you are assessed at ‘Unfit for Work’, or ‘Fit, with conditions’, your employer will discuss this with you and decide if there is a need for any reasonable adjustments to your working situation.

Please do not worry about this – the likelihood of being assessed as Unfit ro Work or Fit, with conditions is very rare!

What will be assessed?

The assessment is ‘non-invasive’ and you will remain fully clothed. The OHA scheme set up by the JIB will cover the following tests as standard:

  • Musculoskeletal questionnaire/assessment
  • Skin health check
  • Respiratory health check
  • Audiometry health check
  • Blood pressure
  • Vision (Keystone test)
  • Vibration health check
  • Colour vision (Ishihara Test)
  • Urinalysis
  • Mental health/workplace stress assessment (question set)

When should OHAs take place?

OHAs can usually be arranged at a time and location to suit your employer’s business.  Under the JIB’s OHA programme you are entitled to a funded OHA once every 3 years.

Who sees the results of the assessment?

Your specific assessment information is medically confidential and can only be viewed by you or health professionals, unless you give written permission for others to see it, and the request is reasonable. Confidentiality will be maintained at all stages of the OHA process.

While your employer (or any other person employed by the company) will not have access to your assessment records, they will receive an outcome summary that confirms OHA has been has been undertaken, the outcome regarding fitness for the tasks you carry out, and any recommendations that will help to protect your health at work.

Why do I need to do this?

Health surveillance exists to ensure that your health isn’t being affected by anything hazardous while doing your job. By asking you to undertake an Occupational Health Assessment (OHA), your employer is trying to identify work-related health risks that might affect you, or are affecting you. To rectify the situation, they can implement additional control measures to those already in place prior to the assessment.

By taking part in an OHA, you can help to identify any early signs of ill health and allow your employer to take steps to improve the situation, before you suffer significant harm.

Will I get paid for my time and travel to attend the assessment?

Yes. If the OHA is within work time then you are required to be paid. If the OHA is offsite, you will be entitled to travel expenses as well.

Operative Benefits

Am I covered for Bupa and how do I make a claim?

To check your cover you will need to contact ECIS on 0330 221 0241 and they will then advise on the correct procedure.

Can I claim for dental treatment on my Bupa cover?

Only if it is for an operation, but ECIS do run a Dental scheme under Bupa. For more details ring ECIS on 0330 221 0241 or email ecis@ecins.co.uk.

Can you help me with my JIB Pension?

The JIB Pension Scheme is operated by Evolve Pensions Limited and can be called on 03333 218208 or via their website https://evolvepensions.co.uk

How can I book an occupational health assessment?

Your employer can book this for you with one of the approved providers. Your eligibility can be checked on the ECIS Canopy system by your employer. An Assessment will need to be booked directly with the provider selected. Find out more about how to contact these providers here.

How much is JIB sick pay?

There are different amounts dependent upon your grade and these can be found on the JIB website or in the JIB Handbook or by phoning either the JIB on 03333 218 230 or ECIS on 0330 221 0241. Please visit Section 9 of the JIB handbook for details of sick pay bands.

I am in the middle of Bupa treatment and have been made redundant, am I still covered for JIB benefits?

You must register in writing with the ECIS Benefits Team immediately and sign on with the DWP to maintain a further 26 weeks’ cover. The address for the ECIS Benefits Team is ECA Court, 24-26 South Park, Sevenoaks, Kent TN13 1DU.

I am off sick. How do I claim JIB Sickness Benefit?

Your company claims the sickness benefit through the ECIS. Therefore you must send your medical evidence to your employer and it will be paid through the normal payroll. You will receive SSP after 3 waiting days. After two weeks you will receive JIB Sick Pay in addition to SSP.  This is payable from the 3rd to the 52nd week of sickness.

I have left the company and want to know how I claim my holiday pay?

Any outstanding holiday that has been accrued in the leave year but remains untaken should be paid to you upon termination.

If your company is using the Holiday Pay Scheme, the funds held by the ECIS Benefits Team on behalf of the company will have to be paid back to your former employer first.

P11D values – what are the taxable benefit amounts for this tax year?

ECIS will inform your employer of the benefit amount prior to the end of the tax year.

Why do I need a Grant of Probate for a death benefit claim?

To enable payment to be made to the correct executor.

If your question is not answered sufficiently by using our FAQs, or you need further information on a certain topic, then please contact us directly on 01322 661600.

You can also email us with your enquiry: